www.newsbusters.org
ABC Displays TDS, NBC Actually Educates Viewers in Special Report on Castro Indictment
ABC and NBC broke in Wednesday with network special reports on the Justice Department’s historic indictments against Raúl Castro and five others in the deadly 1996 shootdown of aircraft related to the pro-freedom Brothers to the Rescue group that resulted in the deaths of four men. While NBC delivered a proper history lesson and gave no quarter to the murderous communist regime, ABC channeled its long history of excusing the regime by framing this as largely a Trump political play.
ABC’s World News Tonight anchor David Muir opened by framing the announcement at Miami’s Freedom Tower on the 124th anniversary of Cuban independence through Trump-tinted lenses, telling viewers this was all about a “major escalation” and “rising tensions between the U.S. and Cuba.”
Notice ABC's David Muir opened the network's Special Report on the DOJ/Castro indictments through the lens of Trump, Trump, Trump, such as here: “President Trump previously imposing a blockade of oil shipments to Cuba in an effort to continue to cripple Cuba’s economy.” pic.twitter.com/SPNeInKP3T
— Curtis Houck (@CurtisHouck) May 20, 2026
Muir huffed the murder charges of 94-year-old Castro came after Trump took foreign policy “action, of course, in Venezuela, then Iran” and, in Cuba, “impos[ed] a blockade of oil shipments to Cuba in an effort to continue to cripple Cuba’s economy.”
“President Trump has said in recent months that the U.S. was in talks with Havana. He raised the possibility of a friendly takeover of Cuba, in his words. And the President has said Cuba is going to fall pretty soon in his words as well,” he added.
Muir channeled his predecessors Peter Jennings and Diane Sawyer by giving daylight to the commies. In 1989, Jennings gushed over Fidel Castro as having “delivered the most to those who had the least” and become “a model of development” on education, literacy, and “world-class” medical care. All of it, Jennings argued, served as “great success stories” to Castro’s (violent) revolution.
In 1993, Sawyer swooned Raúl’s brother prevailed because of his “invincible certainty of their destiny” and, in 2008, said Fidel “knew life is a stage and played the part of the dashing revolutionary.”
The only support before the press conference came from vague anecdotes from correspondent Matt Rivers, who said from Little Havana that “we’ve been seeing people drive past us here..., honking their horns, Cuban flags out the windows,” and some donning Make America Great Again hats.
During the speeches, Muir dipped out and tag-teamed with chief legal analyst Dan Abrams to cast doubt on the indictment’s success:
Disney's ABC News was, unsurprisingly, very skeptical of the Justice Department's indictment of Raul Castro and five others in the murders of four men from the Brothers to the Rescue in 1996 pic.twitter.com/TjEbvoOUeb
— Curtis Houck (@CurtisHouck) May 20, 2026
There was more vague talk from former longtime Univision correspondent Teresa Rodriguez, who followed on the themes of doubts about its success, but at least went further than Rivers in providing color on the jubilation in Miami:
[F]or some of these people that I see in that audience today, some of them are relatives, one of which I spoke to yesterday. And you can see the smiles on their faces. They lost their loved ones, they lost their — their sons. So this is quite a day, a historic day for the Cuban exile community, not just here, but all over the world.
After Saturday World News Tonight anchor and weekend Good Morning America co-host Whit Johnson relayed his recent regime-approved trip to Cuba and touted a defiant government as ordinary people suffer (which he did not assign blame), Muir offered the most laughable line of all about ABC having “been committed to covering the Cuban people for a very long time”:
ABC’s David Muir, channeling predecessors Peter Jennings and Diane Sawyer with their overt or back-door fawning over the Castro regime in communist Cuba...
“ABC News has been committed to covering the Cuban people for a very long time. It was a decade ago. We took World News… pic.twitter.com/KBU9OhqQ5x
— Curtis Houck (@CurtisHouck) May 20, 2026
Once they aired Thomas’s questions to Blanche, Muir signed off with more skepticism, except to vaguely state “things are changing in Cuba.”
It would be a vast understatement to say NBC was different.
NBC Nightly News anchor Tom Llamas — a Miami native and son of Cuban refugees — immediately declared it “a historic moment” with charges related to the death of four from “the humanitarian group Brothers to the Rescue” and also noted the historic symbolism of the location and day to unseal the indictment.
Llamas even stated out loud some “viewers across the country...may be a little confused” about the pomp and circumstance surrounding the roll out, so he delivered a history lesson of sorts about the men lost (some had served in the Vietnam War) and what Brothers to the Rescue accomplished.
Correspondent Jesse Kirsch also pointed to how Brothers to the Rescue were “credited with saving upwards of 10,000 lives” and thus were not a “trivial” group but one that had a “real impact at a time when there were so many people in the dangerous, treacherous waters between Cuba and Florida trying to get here.”
Tom @LlamasNBC explaining to those unaware of the importance of today’s DOJ indictment of Raul Castro and the Cuban regime’s deadly 1996 shootdown of the Brothers to the Rescue plane...
“[F]or our viewers across the country who are watching this, they may be a little confused… pic.twitter.com/IYj0GgxK7a
— Curtis Houck (@CurtisHouck) May 20, 2026
Longtime NBC correspondent Kelly O’Donnell was the lone voice to frame the indictment solely as a Trump-connected project, but still said many believe an indictment “will...write this 30-year wrong” with Secretary of State Marco Rubio having long opposed the Cuban regime as the son of Cuban immigrants.
Llamas dug deeper on the history angle with Saturday NBC Nightly News anchor, longtime Telemundo anchor, and fellow Floridian Jose Diaz-Balart.
In a fascinating series of explanations, Llamas focused on how the Castros had a spy network inside the United States that aided in the attack while Diaz-Balart detailed how the shootdowns took place (click the X post to read the transcript):
WATCH: Important history lesson on the Brothers to the Rescue shootdown from NBC’s Tom @LlamasNBC and @JDBalart....
Llamas: “The charge here may be murder, and it actually may go further than that. It may be premeditated murder. And the reason for that is that we now know that… pic.twitter.com/Xb9Iz0dA2e
— Curtis Houck (@CurtisHouck) May 20, 2026
Following the event, Diaz-Balart relayed the angry reaction from the current Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel falsely claiming the Brothers to the Rescue was “a narco-terrorist” group.
Diaz-Balart also praised the indictment as “a speaking indictment” and thus “not just the declaration of the charges, but...a narrative that points very directly to Raúl Castro’s responsibility in any decision that was taken to knock down those planes” and the spy network Llamas referenced earlier.
Once O’Donnell said her piece detailing how the indictment provided “a sense of the history of the case” but likely didn’t reveal all the cards and evidence the government has, senior White House correspondent Gabe Gutierrez chimed in with his own views, particularly the stark change from then-President Barack Obama’s chummy 2016 visit to see Raúl Castro (click “expand”):
But you remember, Tom, in the Maduro raid, a lot of Maduro security were Cubans. So, there are a lot of questions about how this moves forward. We have reporting over the last several months that President Trump has been growing increasingly frustrated by the Cuban government remaining in power, despite the fuel shortages that have erupted across the island. And if I could point out, Tom, this really points to over the last decade or so, the sharp difference in policy from the Trump administration to the Obama administration before it. I was there in 2014, 2015, with that thaw of diplomatic relations between Cuba and the U.S. And you remember that last speaker — the Florida Attorney General — mentioned that he didn’t name him by name, but President Obama actually attended a baseball game with Raul Castro in Havana, and that was a reference to that. Certainly, Kelly was referring to the political dynamics of all this. But we see just how far the Trump administration has come from the Obama administration before it, making a calculation that it does not want any sort of talking with the Cuban regime. It’s losing patience with it. And the CIA director’s visit there last week, certainly the leaking of pictures from that from that visit amounted to an escalation of the pressure campaign. And you’re right, that is the major question. What happens next? Will the U.S. now somehow go into Cuba and bring Raul Castro back here to face these charges? He turns 95 years old next month.
Llamas closed with a poignant five-minute interview of Miriam de la Pena, whose son Mario was one of the four men killed in the shoot down.
POWERFUL: NBC’s Tom @LlamasNBC interviews Miriam de la Pena, the mother of Mario de la Pena, one of the Americans killed in the deadly 1996 Brothers to the Rescue shootdown by the Cuban military, about her emotions hearing the U.S. has indicted Raul Castro and five others in her… pic.twitter.com/9V4OuIBOB9
— Curtis Houck (@CurtisHouck) May 20, 2026
Asked what this moment meant to her, she emphatically told Llamas this is “the first day of us being on the road to find justice” and the first time her son and the three others killed “are looked at as human beings who were murdered under a dictatorship, who extended their tentacles to international waters to kill American citizens. And that cannot be allowed.”
“I think it’s the right thing to do...You kill American citizens, the United States needs to defend those citizens. You and I could have been killed. The United States needs to stand up for its citizens. What are we here for? Protect our citizens from murderers...I feel like we’re — we’re human beings. Before, we were ignored. We’re not ignored anymore...There were four innocent men trying to do good for society, and they did not deserve to die that way,” she later added.
Llamas closed by asking what she’d say to Raúl Castro. Here was her answer:
You are going to get what you deserve. You are being called by what you are today. You are a murderer. Now, you will have, in the United States — your rights will be will not be violated like you violate the rights of the Cuban people. You will have rights in the United States being respected and you will serve a just sentence if you’re found guilty, which I have no doubt that you will be found guilty.
“Miriam de la Pena, your husband, I know, is right next to you. We thank you so much for talking to us. We are sorry for what you and your family have struggled through and gone through over these 30 years, and I know today is a monumental day for you. We shall see what shall happen in the days and weeks ahead,” Llamas said in response.
To see the relevant transcripts from May 20, click here (for ABC) and here (for NBC).