100percentfedup.com
CDC Announces Travel Restrictions For African Countries Impacted By Ebola Outbreak
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced an entry ban on foreign travelers who have been in three African countries impacted by an Ebola outbreak – the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Uganda, and South Sudan.
“This suspension Order applies to covered aliens who have departed from, or were otherwise present within, DRC, Uganda, or South Sudan during the last 21 days (regardless of their country of origin). This Order is based on an assessment of the most recently available data and current conditions regarding the Ebola disease outbreak,” a CDC order read.
“This order is time-limited and shall be in effect for 30 days from the date of issuance. This Order is intended to address the serious risk of introduction of Ebola disease into the United States, while allowing the U.S. Government the time necessary to conduct a full assessment of the unique public health risks posed by Ebola disease, assist with implementing surveillance, diagnostic capabilities and contact tracing, and develop a comprehensive mitigation and containment strategy in consultation with other stakeholders,” it continued.
The CDC is enhancing public health screening and traveler monitoring amid a growing Ebola outbreak, with non-U.S. passport holders facing entry restrictions if they have been to Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo or South Sudan in the last three weeks.…
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) May 18, 2026
CBS News shared further:
At least six Americans were exposed to Ebola virus in Congo, sources with international aid organizations told CBS News, although it was unclear if any had been infected. It also wasn’t immediately clear whether the Americans were still in Congo.
The agency also said it would try to identify people who have been exposed to the Ebola virus by coordinating with airlines, international partners and port-of-entry officials.
The CDC said the outbreak posed a low immediate risk to the U.S. general public.
The World Health Organization (WHO) declared a “public health emergency of international concern” due to “Ebola disease caused by Bundibugyo virus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.”
“Public Health Emergency Of International Concern” Declared By World Health Organization
“Pursuant to paragraph 2 of Article 12 – Determination of a public health emergency of international concern, including a pandemic emergency of the International Health Regulations (2005) (IHR), the Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO), after having consulted the States Parties where the event is known to be currently occurring, is hereby determining that the Ebola disease caused by Bundibugyo virus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda constitutes a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC), but does not meet the criteria of pandemic emergency, as defined in the IHR,” the WHO stated in a release.
“As of 15 May, a total of 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths (4 deaths among confirmed cases) have been reported. 65 contacts have been listed, with 15 identified as high-risk,” the WHO said.
“Most of the suspected cases are between 20 and 39 years old, with females accounting for over 60%, suggesting significant risks associated with household and caregiver transmission,” it continued.
Highlights from Disease Outbreak News on #Ebola disease caused by Bundibugyo Virus Disease, Democratic Republic of the Congo & Uganda - 16 May 2026: